Gambling & You
Leisure and Entertainment
We have a pretty simple goal. To make betting with Sportsbet a fun experience for you. Gambling with money you can’t afford to lose can lead to stress and anxiety. Betting should be an entertaining and enjoyable experience and by staying in control and maintaining a balanced approach it can be.
We at Sportsbet.com.au want to maintain a long relationship with you which is why we want to ensure gambling is an enjoyable experience. That’s why we like to inject all our products and services with a little bit of fun and fairness for our customers. However, part of making it an enjoyable experience lies with you. If you stay in control and only bet when you decide to you can enjoy the experience. If at any point gambling stops becoming fun, we encourage you to contact us. We will always endeavour to use our experience to help you out if you find yourself in difficulties.
Tips for Betting Sensibly
- Jobs are for making money, gambling is a form of entertainment. Sometimes you’ll win; sometimes you’ll lose but treat it as an entertainment expense, like a movie ticket, rather than a way to make money.
- Only gamble with money you can afford to lose. If you win it’s a bonus and you can buy shiny things you don’t need. If you lose you won’t be left feeling stressed and anxious.
- Know your limits and be clear about them before you start to gamble. When you hit your limit, whether it’s a financial limit or a time limit, stop and go do something else.
- Take a break. Gambling continuously without taking a break will impact your judgement, and most likely your relationship. You also need to eat at regular intervals. Starving isn’t fun.
- Don’t gamble when you’re upset or depressed. Sometimes feeling bad or sad can trigger the urge to gamble. If you’re feeling upset or depressed then don’t gamble. Your decision making will be affected and losing money is unlikely to cheer you up.
- Do other stuff. If you find that gambling is your only form of entertainment then you may have a problem. If you’re not having fun then you’re doing it wrong. Sometimes less is more and making gambling a part of a well-balanced lifestyle will help to bring the fun back.
- Don’t go chasing. Trying to win back lost money by placing bets you can’t afford is a recipe for disaster. Set your limits, stay in control and never go chasing.
- Gambling under the influence of substances may make you feel unbeatable but drunk gambling is like drunk dialling. It may seem a great idea at the time but you’re probably going to regret it in the morning.